ICAHD UK is supporting a campaign initiative taken by Protecting Palestinian Families, an offshoot of Corporate Occupation/Stop the Demolitions. We request the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) stop taking money from JCB, the British company that manufactures industrial and agricultural machinery. The NSPCC, a major charity that campaigns and works in child protection in the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands, has accepted at least £5 million from JCB and its owners, the Bamford family, despite JCB machines being used to demolish Palestinian homes, an act that inflicts terrible suffering on Palestinian children. Several polite letters have been sent by ICAHD UK, its supporters and by Protecting Palestinian Families, yet the NSPCC refuses to sever its link with JCB. The campaign coalition has now expanded to also include the UK Palestine Mental Health Network, Social Work Action Network and the Shoal Collective. Learn about this campaign and see below for actions tht you can take.
History of the Campaign
- Open letter from the UK Palestine Mental Health Network (UKPMHN) (24 September 2020)
- Open letter from the Social Work Action Network (SWAN) (11 October 2020)
- JCB Bulldozers Make Life a Misery - An Article by Sharen Green (posted 12 October 2020)
- Major Charity Accepts Dirty Money (press release issued 13 October 2020)
- Clearly not every child is worth fighting for: racism, conscience and the NSPCC - Dr Martin Kemp, UKPMHN
Actions You Can Take
Take practical measures to tell the NSPCC to stop accepting 'dirty' money from JCB.
- Write to the NSPCC
- Send tweets about JCB using the hashtag #NSPCCdropJCB
Details, including suggestions of what to include in your letters and emails, are available here.
Read about Our Completed Actions In This Campaign
Actions already taken include:
- Campaigners demonstrate at the NSPCC and JCB (6th April 2021)
- 'How Safe are Palestinian Children?' - read about our Day of Action to coincide with the first day of the NSPCC National Conference on 4th April 2021
- Read about our postcard campaign which saw 3,000 postcards being sent to the NSPCC
- View our 1,818 signature petition delivered to NSPCC Headquarters on 6th April 2021
Webinars on this subject
Watch recordings of these webinars which address these issues
- No more Status Quo: End Israeli Demolitions and Displacements Now - 23 June 2021 - Watch here
- Not Every Child Matters: Challenging the NSPCC – 21 Feb 2021 - Watch here
- Resisting Demolitions from Outside Palestine – Part 1 – 26 Sept 2020 - Watch here
- Resisting Demolitions from Outside Palestine – Part 2 – 11 Nov 2020 - Watch here