As representatives of ICAHD we work to achieve ICAHD’s Vision within the UK by:
- Advocating and campaigning in support of human rights in both Israel and the Occupied Palestine Territory (OPT)
- Educating, informing and disseminating information to the UK public about the situation on the ground inIsrael and the OPT , specifically any activities that may affect the achievement of a just and sustainable peace
- Educating, empowering and encouraging a membership to campaign and advocate to people of all levels of influence, and through their own networks to help build a movement for change in Israel and the OPT amongst UK leaders and citizens which becomes a movement of critical mass.
What is ICAHD?
ICAHD is a non-violent, direct-action group originally established to oppose and resist Israeli demolition of Palestinian houses in the Occupied Territory. As our activists gained direct knowledge of the brutalities of the Occupation, we expanded our resistance activities to other areas – land expropriation, settlement expansion, by-pass road construction, policies of “closure” and “separation,” the wholesale uprooting of fruit and olive trees and more. The fierce repression of Palestinian efforts to “shake off” the Occupation following the second Intifada has only added urgency to our efforts.
As a direct-action group, ICAHD is comprised of Israeli peace and human rights activists. All of our work in the Occupied Territories is closely coordinated with local Palestinian organizations.
Since its founding, ICAHD’s activities have extended to three interrelated spheres: resistance and protest actions in the Occupied Palestine Territory; efforts to bring the reality of the Occupation to Israeli society; and mobilizing the international community for a just peace. Our activities include:
- Resisting the demolition of Palestinian homes. ICAHD members physically block bulldozers sent to demolish homes. We also mobilize Israelis and Palestinians to rebuild them as acts of resistance. In addition to its effectiveness as a means of raising awareness of the workings of the Occupation, house rebuilding has proven an effective vehicle of grassroots peace-making.
- Disseminating information and networking. Our familiarity with realities “on the ground” gives us special authority and insight in our frequent contacts with diplomats, fact-finding missions, the public and the media. We work closely with other peace and human rights organizations in Israel, in Palestine and internationally on campaigns to end the Occupation and secure a just peace for all. ICAHD also conducts tours of the Occupied Territory and Israel from a critical peace perspective, sends speakers on informational tours and participates in international conferences and gatherings.
- Providing oral and written reports to the UN based on gaining ECOSOC status and the invitation to engage with UN activities. ICAHD also cooperates with other human rights organizations to present legal challenges to Israeli actions and policies in the Occupied Palestine Territory.
The Goal: A Just and Sustainable Peace
As Israelis, we believe that the only chance for a genuine peace is one that enables the Palestinians to experience sovereignty and full civil rights.. A just peace will also provide all the peoples of our region with the security, dignity, freedom and economic opportunities they deserve The future may witness the emergence of a regional confederation enhancing the viability of each of our societies to cope with a global reality.
ICAHD UK supports the work of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD). ICAHD UK raises money for and promotes this work, and lobbies at every level of government in the UK., the EU and at the UN. The objective of our organisation is to help achieve a just and sustainable peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
ICAHD UK Ltd is a not-for-profit Company Limited by Guarantee – Registration Number 6060984.